Wednesday, January 13, 2010

And His Mercies are New Every Morning...


About a year and a half ago my best friend, Bethany, who lives in SC and I decided we would make a pact and commit to 3 changes in our eating habits. The photo above shows the signed note and a photo of the two of us about 7 years ago. We made it a week! = )

These last two weeks I've been starting my "Eating Routine" again and I have felt SO AMAZING! I am a Chocoholic in the scientific sense. Just like an alcoholic if I have any trace of chocolate in my system I will think about it, dream about it, lie to get some, push...shove...and be disobedient. I will think about when the next time I will be able to have it! I've struggled for years with this horrible addiction and have been successful in cutting it out of my diet a few times over the years but always returned to my "Dark Master". AWFUL!

My son, Daniel, shared the other night at bedtime about his experience with his new DS. "Mommy, I need to stop playing my DS. I feel like I'm on the bad team and my DS is my master...telling me 'Play me, play me, all the time!' . I feel like it's like Jesus. This is not good Mommy." I told my little 7 year old that he just gave the definition of addiction!

It's an AWFUL thing to be trapped in an addiction that keeps you from being healthy, have energy, and accomplish all that the Lord has called us to.

So...I got very ill with the flu a month ago and couldn't eat. So I had a major detox off chocolate at coffee (my other habit). I have not had either since! And I feel like someone who has been SET FREE!!! It's WONDERFUL! = )

Below is a photo of my morning breakfast.


Salad for lunch, yogurt, granola, and salad for dinner. Water, skim milk, and "Silver Tea" (hot water and lemon) to drink.

It is SUCH a blessing to eat as Daniel did...remembering his strength and energy having only eaten fruits and vegatables. I believe Satan has a field day keeping us from what God intended for our bodies so that we can function fully in this life.

How about you? Any new revelations for the new year?

Have a lovely day!

13 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Hi Chery!

That's an amazingly healthy breakfast! I can do without chocolate but not my coffee. Although I now make it half Decaffe/half Lite. So I've cute the caffeine waaaay down.

That's pretty astute 7 year old you have. What a great kid!

You asked about the color on my walls. It's called Squished Squash by Benjamin Moore. Yellow is hard! I tried about 12 different yellows before I found this one. So if you do try it, be sure to just get a little pot of it and test it. It's not going to look the same in your house. Everyone has different lighting conditions that affect color.

Manuela

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I mean cut not cute! Even I don't know how to cute up coffee (unless it's a cute cup) LOL!

Manuela

Cheryl said...

My best friend, Bethany, has a similar yellow in her bedroom...I LOVE IT!! I was just looking at my living room after writing you and decided that is NOT the room for that color...though I LOVED it on your walls! = )

Benjamin Moore is luscious paint. I'll definitely try it on some possible other rooms.

Thanks, Manuela!
Cheryl

Two Shades of Pink said...

First things first. Now way, no how, not uh...will I give up coffee. Call me stubborn, full of pride, weak of flesh. Whatever. Love it. When it's an idol then we can talk. I am in utter amazement over you walking away from it. Chocolate dreams and violence probably meant some warning bells were going off but coffee? Perhaps there will be a day where I will sit at your feet to hear your wisdom born of experience. But it shall be on the streets if gold, I think.
Lovely post! And to answer your question...yes, I will miss these silly days with these fast growing ones. But I pray I will ALWAYS laugh.

Cheryl said...

Jessica, I'm right there with you! It has been MONTHS of "when can I get my next Starbucks fix"...MOCHA, mind you! So I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this was the ONLY way the Lord could strip this addiction from me....by Major illness! Where I had no choice. I just couldn't stand having to always have coffee in the morning before I could drag myself out of bed! Now I have been waking up BEFORE my alarm goes off! Crazy! = )

Miracles are born of a marinating prayer life...as Dutch Sheets says, "Intercessory prayer is not microwaving, it's marinating" and I've been marinating in this prayer for deliverance from coffee and chocolate for YEARS! = )

Great to hear from you! And always LOVELY to hear from you, Manuela! Our Beauty Lady! = )

Camille said...

Nice to "meet" you Cheryl! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. :) You have a lovely spot here in "blogland"...may the Lord bless you as you share your heart and love for HIM with others.

Have a wonderful evening!
Blessings,
Camille

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

Hi, Cheryl! So glad that you stopped by a couple of times! :)
You too have beautiful children's names... ;) And thanks for sharing your haircutting story with me. Let's just say that Lincoln got a buzz cut! :0

I REALLY struggle with eating healthy, always have. I'm lazy about it, don't take the time, and put everything else before my health. Not good... I need to change so much and do an overhaul with the Lord's help!!

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

Oh, and by the way... I too listened to Dave Ramsey every day for a long time. LOVE his convictions about money and his Biblical teaching of it. I miss hearing that southern voice of his when I haven't listened for a while!!

Anonymous said...

I have a sugar addiction. Mostly to chocolate, but if there's none in the house...I'll eat the banana bread, the animal crackers, a bowl of cereal...
It's probably time for me to do something about it as well.
Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you again soon.
I'll check back here as well.
Have a good Day :)
- Kathi

Anonymous said...

I posted today about things that have shaped me as a mother.

It's a "tagging" kind of thing.

I'm tagging you, if you'd like to join us.

Have a good night.
- Kathi

HAPPYHANERHOME said...

Oh those oranges look yummy. I was "set free" from coffee for a time, but I am back on it and I love it...it's sad to say, but I do. That warm cup and my Lord's Word...ah, there is nothing quite like it. Just one cup I nurse through the day, but it's enough. Thank you for your comments on my blog. I love your thoughtfulness and peace. I look forward to the future of our blog friendship! :)

Cheryl said...

Hello, Ladies!! SO WONDERFUL to have your comments! So sorry to be so delayed in responding! I shared on my latest post why I've been away for a few days. God is GOOD all the time!

Camille, thank you for your sweet words - SUCH a balm to my heart! And I will be checking back to your site often!

Kate - I LOVE his Southern accent, too! I love how confident and straight forward Dave is. I always feel that I want to make him proud with the way we handle our money so that one day we can make that "Call" and yell..."WE'RE DEBT FREE!!!" = ) It's always a pleasure to see your name on my comments!

Kathi - SO NICE to have you visit! I would LOVE to do the tag thing, what do I do?

Anonymous said...

Just create a post about the 5 things that have most shaped you as a mother. Then you tag a few other bloggers. I also linked to Amy at buffaloesandbutterflywings who tagged me in my post.
It's been really neat to read about everyone!
Thanks for taking part!
- Kathi